Events

Oxford Africa Conference, Owning Africa's Story

With its reputation for academic rigour and high quality critical thinking, it would be easy to assume that this year’s Oxford Africa Conference would leave little to the imagination and bombard guests with heavy factual and numerical content. Luckily, all attendees: the President of Ghana, CEOs, Poet Laureates and audience members included, approached the event with a keenness to learn and most importantly, a desire to inspire. In essence the event honed in on the need for the African story to be owned by Africans. It further served in highlighting the quality, volume and diversity of work being carried out on the continent, not just in business and finance but also through Africa’s working women, its art and media. I dig deeper below.

I start with the female diaspora two reasons. First, because of the sense of energy I experienced during their specified discussion but also to characterise African women on the move and doing great things. Like my three other male counterparts in the room, I arrived in this discussion accidentally and after ‘over-networking’ with the other attendees in the beautiful Oxford Union gardens. Unsure of what to expect, I sat back in my chair and prepared myself to engage with anything that may come my way. I was struck by two things:
1. Just how awesome and capable women are in general

Nigerian Business woman inspiring crowd with speech on motherhood and balancing work-life
“I am a mother, business women, wife, aunt, sister and daughter. Before all of this though, I am woman” – Winihin Ayuli-Jemide (2015)

2. The humility of panellists in approaching the continent with an open-mindedness and the intention to embrace all things – even if it means rising an hour earlier to keep mother-in-laws from ‘commenting’ on your treatment or lack of, of their sons!
Sneha Shah at Oxford Africa Conference
“You also have to mindful of how you integrate into and embrace the culture. But I must say, as a woman, no man has ever asked me to leave the round-table” – Sneha Shah (2015)

I was inspired by their passion and energy and felt privileged to sit in on their discussions. I give a special mention to Winihin Jemide, who asides from having the best public speaking style I have ever seen, made sure to inspire all guests with a monologue about the balancing game that so many women play daily. I expect to see empresses to see emerge as a result of her demonstration that anything is possible.
"As women in business we need to use our strengths. If people do not see you coming, that is a powerful thing" -Frances Mensah Williams (2015)
“As women in business we need to use our strengths. If people do not see you coming, that is a powerful thing” -Frances Mensah Williams (2015)

On art and media, I loosely quote South Africa’s Poet Laureate Dr Keorapetse Kogsitisile in saying: ‘Whilst the concepts in the African narrative – the rise and fall of man, man against man, love and war, hate etc. – will ultimately remain universal and human, it is in how we tell our stories, the textures and idioms used in our content, that we share Africa with the rest of the world.’
So what does that mean for media and art?
Loosely quoting Acha Leke, Africans and the diaspora have the greatest access to the African story and as such should ‘take ownership of how such stories are told.’ In practice this means Africans owning the production, preservation and dissemination of Africa’s news, film and literature.
South Africa Poet Laureate Keorapetse Kogsitsile at oxford africa conference
“Tell today’s story apprehending the past’s impact on it” – Keorapetse Kogsitsile (2015)

The poignancy of both men’s words were further highlighted by the film-screenings shown on the day. Me being the romantic that I am, I chose to watch KanyeKanye – a South African Romeo and Juliet style romance which explores how artificial barriers can provide unnecessary barriers, hindering the development of natural connections and genuine relationships. I loved the authenticity of the storytelling; a simple plot, humour and stock African characters, all made the film’s themes easy to digest. However, I was struck by the clarity of the film in all senses of the word. To see a complex concept conveyed so purely was impressive to say the least.
In line with my work at Movemeback, the words of the panellist and the quality of the films left me inspired. Africa’s box office debut is on its way – hold me to it!
I lastly want to give a special mention to the day’s innovation fair. The first of its kind, it gave participants the option to pitch business ideas to the audience who would then vote on their favourites. In short, talent and innovation is in no short supply on the continent.  As shapers and influencers, it is important for our community to ensure that the rest of the world are aware of this.

%d bloggers like this: